I reprocessed a full disc lunar photo from August 24th 2011.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
I did a series of constellation shots from 1900 to 1930 GMT. The eastern sky was covered by cloud but the area surrounding Orion seemed quite promising, so I decided to concentrate there. In the first shot, Lepus and Canis Minor are also visible.
Although I couldn’t see the other stars in Canis Major (apart from Sirius) the main ones came out in the photo, even though it was low in the sky.
Monday, January 28, 2013
Sunday, January 27, 2013
Saturday, January 26, 2013
I checked the Sun with the bins early morning and couldn't spot activity. The Big Bear images looked quite bland, too. I returned out at 1040 GMT with a telescope and camera.
I only saw and captured two sunspots but it was just nice to be out again. Usual method with the Maksutov. Considered the spots too small to want to attempt webcamming them.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Monday, January 21, 2013
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Friday, January 18, 2013
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
I was hoping to start on the Moon earlier but, unfortunately, had to take my daughter to Casualty. At least she wasn’t as bad as feared and the Moon was still there at 2000 GMT, although getting lower. I did some full disc shots and some close-ups with the webcam, without the 2X Barlow lens. The full disc image was the best 5 of 10 frames.
The first photo from the webcam runs is a mosaic of 3 stacked imaging runs from Registax 5 combined into a single image using Microsoft ICE, with further processing done using Paintshop Pro and GIMP.
The second image consists of the result of a single imaging run.
The third image was composed from 2 separate imaging runs.
The fourth picture was taken from a single imaging run.
The next picture was also taken on a single imaging run.
The mid-region near the terminator showed a lot of detail from a single run.
Another single run produced some detail.
The final photo was a composite of 3 imaging runs.
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Sunday, January 13, 2013
The day had started brightly but by the time I was ready to snap the Sun in hydrogen alpha light at 1025 GMT, thin cloud had covered the Sun. Visually, the only stand-our features were the sunspots I could see much better in white light anyway. I took some full disc and close-up (of the sunspot area) shots in the hope of getting usable data. Only the full disc shot showed anything useful at all.
Having sorted out one or 2 chores, I had another go at the Sun with my PST at 1140 GMT. It was quite incredible in the clearer conditions with some activity all over the disc. The sunspot region looked quite amazing and I could see a small prominence. I took full disc shots and close-ups of the sunspot area and prominence area.
At 1150 GMT, I did a full disc imaging run with the Maksutov but could only capture a few frames before the battery ran out. 4 frames were stacked with Registax 5 (Registax 6 “froze”) and further processing was done using Paintshop Pro and GIMP.
At 1200 GMT I was webcamming the Sun with the Mak and SPC880. I started off with the 2x Barlow lens but seemed to get sharper sunspots without it. I managed to see a lot of detail on the laptop screen, with the sunspots showing irregular patterns and penumbral shading.
As it turned out, the shots without the Barlow lens worked best and the others I discarded. I tried to stitch and stack the files I obtained from Registax but was unable to get higher resolution, so here are the results.